A cold, crisp winter morning and a brisk walk through The Hermitage of Braid, climb Blackford Hill and lunch and a pint in Leslie's Bar
The Hermitage of Braid is an area between the Braid Hills and Blackford Hill. The Braid Burn runs through it. The area is steeped in history - some of which is told in the old Hermitage House where the Headquarter of the City of Edinburgh Countryside Natural Heritage Service provides a Visitor Centre full of displays, activities and information.
The first recorded owner of this area was the son of a Belgian knight called De Brad, in the 12th Century. His son, Henri De Brad, was Sheriff of Edinburgh. He and his guests hunted for deer and wild boar in the forest.
In 1775 the architect Robert Burn was employed by Charles Gordon of Cluny to design the mansion house. The house was finished in 1788.